Friday, April 24, 2015

Week 5

This week in the shop has been great!  We continued to use the AutoCAD program, and we had two required drawings we had to complete.  The first one was easy, but the second drawing was difficult.  Fortunately, I figured out to to complete the drawing.
 After I was done with both requirements, I started my design for my tiny box in AutoCAD.  Yesterday, Mr. Smith showed me how to use the handheld plasma torch, and I cut the metal sheets for our tiny boxes.  The only steps that are left in assembling the box is cutting the material, shaping it, and spot welding it.  I hope to move on to more difficult designs, and make more complex boxes.  Next week I'll be moving on with the boxes,  and use how to use the Plasma Cutter.

The essential question for this week was where plastic comes from.  Plastic can be found naturally like in insects, plants, animals' horns or their milk.  It can also be made made plastic, or synthetic plastic.  Most plastics today are synthetic plastics.  Recycled plastics go to a waste-to-energy facility, but other plastics end up in landfills, or in the ocean polluting it.  Plastic is formed from natural gases and it combines smaller molecules into a chain that is strong and durable.  Plastic is currently used in a lot of products today, but it is also one of the main things polluting our world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment